|Company||Ten2Two, Experts in Flexible Recruitment|
Our client started out as a law firm based in the Cayman Islands. Currently they have approx. 2300 staff, and operate in 13 jurisdictions. Their business consists of the traditional law firm business and financial services business. Much of the work they do revolve around servicing banks, investment funds, hedge funds, private equities.
The Data Protection Counsel reports to Group Data Protection Counsel and supports our clients in-house Legal department. Its tactical responsibilities feed one larger objective: advises the our client on a broad spectrum of legal, risk, and compliance issues, including information security and data privacy. Primary responsibilities include:
• Addressing data privacy compliance and providing pragmatic solutions for data privacy issues to internal stakeholders from across the entire group;
• Having the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in all aspects of data privacy compliance (including not just conventional advisory work but also operational implementation work) as well as the opportunity to influence the direction of our approach towards data privacy compliance in all of the jurisdictions where we operate; and
• Working very closely with our multi-disciplinary Risk & Compliance department, and will have the opportunity to become involved in other areas of the work undertaken by not just by our Legal department but also our Risk and Compliance department.
In addition to indisputably high ethical standards and autonomy, the ideal candidate possesses the following:
• A self-starter who is not afraid of stepping out of his/her comfort zone, and is equally comfortable operating as an individual contributor who operates autonomously, as well as a team player who operates by seeking and achieving consensus, as appropriate
• Being qualified as a solicitor or barrister admitted to practice in England & Wales, holding a current practicing certificate (candidates qualified in other jurisdictions will be considered on a case-by-case basis). He/she should ideally have 3-6 years’ post-qualification experience gained through a combination of private practice and in-house settings. A substantial portion of the post-qualification experience must have been gained in actually advising on privacy/data protection matters. He/she must have experience of advising on and negotiating commercial contracts and must have a thorough technical understanding of GDPR, as well as the way in which GDPR is implemented or otherwise given effect in at least one of the following European jurisdictions: Ireland, Jersey, Luxembourg, Netherlands, or UK;
• Having a logical and analytical mind-set, coupled with a pragmatic and solution-oriented approach to addressing privacy-related issues. Must be capable of making delicate risk-based decisions on sensitive and time-critical issues. Must be able to work effectively with stakeholders from across the entire organisation and across the world, at all levels of seniority, from support staff to managing partners and C-suite executives; and
• Candidates who possess one or more of the following will be looked upon favorably: (a) familiarity with privacy/data protection laws that apply in our clients non-European operating jurisdictions (e.g. Canada, Cayman Islands, Hong Kong, Singapore, or USA); (b) familiarity with financial services regulation (e.g. FATCA/CRS, AML/CTF, AIFMD, MIFID, etc.); (c) familiarity with investment management, fund administration, trusts, asset financing, structured finance, company administration, and other like disciplines that are relevant to our clients core business; (d) familiarity with IT, IP, cybersecurity, and outsourcing; (e) familiarity with employment/labour law; and (f) IAPP certification (e.g. CIPP/E, CIPP/US, or CIPM).
This role is being offered on reduced or full-time hours, to suit the candidate. A competitive salary and overall package is available, including
• Comprehensive health coverage (medical, dental and optical)
• Competitive vacation packages
• Educational assistance and professional development programmes
• Savings or pension plan
• Life insurance
• Travel insurance
• Global mental wellness programme
• Sports clubs and social events
Hybrid working in available.