UKGBC is an industry-led network with a mission to radically improve the sustainability of the built environment. This is an exciting time to join us. We are growing fast in profile, size, and impact, and moving to a more geographically distributed working model. We are a purpose-driven, dynamic and ambitious charity made up of a team of 40 individuals who are all passionate about working together for a better built environment. 100% of colleagues in our most recent staff survey said they were proud to work for UKGBC.
We are seeking an experienced individual to join our dynamic and friendly team to support the operational management, with a particular focus on HR/ People and working practices. This varied and critical role is cross-departmental and key to the smooth running of the organisation as well as ensuring we have a happy and engaged workforce.
Reporting into the Head of Finance and Operations, you will need to be pro-active, efficient, discrete and able to handle an array of different tasks.You will be the go-to person for all employee-related matters including recruitment, employee relations and talent management. You won’t be afraid to roll your sleeves up, but you are equally comfortable advising the leadership team.
This role is ideal for an individual seeking full flexibility with an option to work remotely albeit with weekly visits required to the London office (Covid guidelines permitting). We are looking for someone working 30 hours per week over 4 full days, or stretched over 5 days.
UKGBC is an industry-led network with a mission to radically improve the sustainability of the built environment. It is a charity with over 600 member organisations spanning the entire value chain, we represent the voice of the industry’s current and future leaders who are striving for transformational change.
We collaborate to advocate, enable and inspire accelerated leadership and action, primarily by business and government, on climate change, resource use, nature & biodiversity, health & wellbeing and socio-economic impact
We also engage our members in advocating a progressive message to government, informing and influencing policy at national and local levels.
Our vision is a built environment that enables people and planet to thrive by:
- Mitigating and adapting to climate change
- Eliminating waste and maximising resource efficiency
- Embracing and restoring nature and promoting biodiversity
- Optimizing the health and wellbeing of people
- Creating long-term value for society and improving quality of life
Purpose of the role
The purpose of this role is the day to day management of human resources and colleague wellbeing, including working practices and some internal communications. It’s aimed at ensuring that a growing team can deliver maximum impact with minimal administrative effort.
- Design and build processes to enable UKGBC to manage HR and admin matters efficiently and reliably
- Support Line Managers on HR decisions, staff changes and team composition where necessary
- Lead on the management update of People policies and procedures, for example reward benchmarking, colleague survey, wellbeing and inclusion and diversity initiatives.
- Lead on the annual review and update of the UKGBC People Handbook and People policies and procedures
- Manage annual leave, sickness absence and TOIL, including management approvals, record keeping and liaising with colleagues directly.
- Provide support to the whole team on HR and people matters, including drafting up contracts and letters
- Support Leadership Team members by ensuring they have accurate HR information to facilitate high performance for their teams
- Manage and coordinate all HR activities, including recruitment, on-boarding and induction, and driving the process for staff Performance & Development Reviews as well as filing of relevant documentation
- Act as the admin super user for the UKGBC HR platform (BreatheHR) and ATS (Hireful) ensuring the systems are updated in line with changes and amendments
- Prepare monthly payroll and pension reports and liaise with the external payroll provider and pensions provider
- Support internal communications, liaising with CEO and the Head of Finance and Operations on team-wide announcements and ensuring regular two-way feedback between Leadership Team, Operations Team, and whole team
- Act as ‘culture manager’ championing a hybrid flexible working arrangement for UKGBC colleagues – working closely with the Head of Finance and Operations to provide high quality technical support and collaborative culture to maximise productivity
- Provide support to the Head of Finance and Operations across various operational management matters for example business planning & progress tracking, supply chain management, tender and contract preparation
- Responsible for planning and scheduling of regular full team meetings, quarterly & annual away days and other team get-togethers incl socials
- Champion the organisational culture and the UKGBC Values by adopting a solutions-driven, positive and efficient attitude
- Demonstrate agility and flexibility to perform duties that may be outside core accountabilities
- Ability to work collaboratively and creatively, using initiative, and as as part of a high performing team in order to achieve required outputs.
- Emotional intelligence and a keenness to make other people’s lives easier
- A self-starter with independent judgement and work planning, also able to work well as part of a team
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Good attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to prioritise and juggle conflicting demands with multiple deadlines
- Strong management and organisational skills, as well as interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to communicate sensitively and with discretion
Knowledge, experience and qualifications
- 5 years HR or people management experience, preferably in a small organisation and/or charity
- Broad exposure and hands on experience of practical HR work including processes and systems
- Competent use of standard Office 365 programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience of administering contracts (employment, secondment and supplier)
- Knowledge and experience of HR matters and office management
- Sound knowledge of employment law and a practical approach to application in a charity setting
- Recruitment interviewing and selection experience
- Experience in the built environment and sustainability
- CIPD qualification or equivalent.
- Knowledge of HR systems e.g. BreatheHR
- Experience of working in the charity/ third sector
Central London with remote working in place
Finance & Operations
Only registered users can apply for jobs. Please Login or Register.