|Flex Type||Part time|
|Company||Turn On The Subtitles|
Hello. How are you? It’s nice to meet you. We’re Henry and Nina.
Nina is the organised one. Henry…less so. But he has a great beard (his words).
Together we run, with our awesome friend and co-founder Oli, a rather splendid campaign called Turn On The Subtitles (TOTS). You can read about us here: www.turnonthesubtitles.org
It’s a children’s literacy campaign based on the mind blowing fact that when children watch TV with the subtitles on, it massively improves their literacy. Cool eh? Here’s Stephen Fry to explain it: https://youtu.be/I-zISnJ-oao
Anyway thanks to some lovely celebrities such as Sir Lenny Henry and Sandi Toksvig (and a lot of hard work), the campaign has rather surpassed expectations (our stretch goal was to help 5 million children. We ended up helping 400 million this year). All of this run from a cluttered kitchen table. It’s been a bonkers whirlwind. Whilst it’s the most fun any of us have ever had, to be honest we’re kinda drowning right now.
We really need some additional support pronto. We’re rather hoping that might be you…
Have a look through the spec below, If it does entice you, Can you fill out this form here: https://goo.gl/forms/wIQClywL7f8woHco2 and we will be in touch. We don’t believe in long drawn out processes, and we know you’re busy, so we’ll get to interviews and a yes or no by late September. Good luck and thanks for taking the time to read this job spec.
What would you be doing?
* Managing aspects of the TOTS campaign which is likely to be pretty varied but will include…
* Managing a CRM of various celebrities, agencies, broadcasters and other stakeholders
* Doing lots of research and coming up with ideas about how to get our message out to parents and work with Broadcasters
* Keeping a calendar of useful dates that we can piggyback on for coverage of the campaign (e.g. reading week)
* Maintaining the TOTS website, TOTS social media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Insta), writing copy for newspapers and blogs we get asked to contribute to etc (no coding skills needed)
* Dealing with journos, influencers and broadcasters
* Brainstorming ideas over coffee and cake (not carrot cake – it’s an abomination)
* Attending some meetings and events in London as and when needed
* Potentially filling out some fundraising forms to help secure funding
Where would you be doing it?
* Don’t care, but would quite like to meet up initially in St Albans or Saffron Walden so you can get to know us. We’d like to meet face to face periodically, maybe once a fortnight, or possibly once a month depending on what we’re doing. Those meetings will be in Saffron Walden or St Albans.
* NB – you’d be expected to foot the commute bill for yourself, we’ll try and keep the journey out of peak hours. Realistically for this to work you should probably live less than 1.5 hours away from St Albans or Saffron Walden where we tend to meet. Lovely as Vanuatu is, if you live there, it’s not going to work.
When would you be working?
* We’d ideally like 10-2, but we’re open to suggestions, we can work around you to a degree, would also appreciate some flexibility from you in return (we both have small kids)
* This is a fixed term contract that will finish at the end of September 2023. It’s likely to roll over into next year and beyond but that’s TBD depending on our fundraising.
How much does it pay?
* £30-35k pro rata (working 4 hours, 5 days a week, give or take – so take home would be half of that)
* Statutory pension contribution
* Up to £500 matched training budget for you to spend on career development
* Cake as and when we meet up
What are the perks?
* Unlimited holiday (take what you need, just be considerate)
* Work in your pyjamas (please dress for meetings)
* Access to a pretty great network of people
* Focus on your own professional development – we want you to leave us significantly better skilled than when you started. Let’s work together to design that programme for you.
What skills are we looking for?
* Organised (there’s a lot of moving parts to keep an eye on)
* Highly literate – able to write quality copy
* Smart generalist, able to turn your hand to anything
* Great research skills
* Articulate in all forms of communication
* Technically competent – can get to grips with new software
What sort of person are we looking for?
* Positive person
* Fast learner
* Not phased by tech
* Qualifications unimportant, but we’ll be looking for the sort of research skills usually found in graduates
* Lover of life and fun
Bonus points for any of the following:
* Worked as a consultant
* Worked as a teacher
* Worked in advertising
* Worked in TV
* Have a good eye for design
* Actual ninja
To apply, please complete this form: https://goo.gl/forms/wIQClywL7f8woHco2
Best of luck!
Closing date is the 18th Sept, but apply now as we sometimes close these things early.